What Is Low-Emissivity Glass?

What Is Low-Emissivity Glass

Here in Arizona, heat control is essential during the scorching summer months. Not only does it make for a comfortable home, but it improves energy efficiency too.

Yet, this doesn’t mean you need to buy a sparkly new cooling unit or pair of blackout curtains. With low-emissivity (Low-E) glass, you can enhance the solar control of your home.

Read on to learn about low-emissivity glass, what it does, and why it’s one of the best investments you can make as an Arizona homeowner.

What is Low-Emissivity Glass?

Low-E glass is a solar control glass. Specifically, soft-coat Low-E glass is used in warmer climates. (Hard-coat Low-E is best for cooler climates, so we’ll spare you the details.)

Soft-coat Low-E glass is made by covering raw glass with layers of metals. This process, called Magnetron Sputtering Vapor Deposition, involves materials like silver, titanium, and zinc.

Because of the metallic layer, Low-E glass blocks the sun’s harsh rays. It minimizes solar heat gain, making it easier to maintain the temperature inside your home.

Low-Emissivity Glass vs. Tinted Windows

Like Low-E glass, tinted windows are used to increase solar control. You can tint windows by applying a tinted film, which provide a barrier to sunlight. Alternatively, you can install windows with tinted glass, which functions by absorbing sunlight.

While homeowners like the privacy of tinted windows, there are major drawbacks. Tinted glass can get very hot, which increases the risk of thermal breakage. It also doesn’t allow enough natural sunlight into your home.

But since Low-E glass works by reflecting — instead of absorbing — energy, you can enjoy a comfortable indoor temperature without the potential risks.

As for traditional clear glass? It radiates about 84% of the sun’s energy back into the home, which is exactly where you don’t want it. Meanwhile, Low-E glass reduces this percentage to just 18% and reflects the remaining 82% back outside.

XO Windows Is Proud to Offer LoĒ³-340 by Cardinal

There are several types of Low-E glass. However, we’re particularly excited to offer LoĒ³-340 glass by Cardinal, the best low-emissivity glass for the blazing Arizona summers.

Here’s why LoĒ³-340 is so impressive:

  • UV Rays. LoĒ³-340 blocks approximately 98% of harmful UV radiation, which is responsible for fading carpets. It’s also linked to health issues such as skin damage and glaucoma.

  • Visible light. The glass has great glare control because it reflects 60% of visible light.

  • Invisible solar infrared rays. Infrared rays make us warm and uncomfortable, but LoĒ³-340 blocks almost all these rays.

Other excellent features of LoĒ³-340 include:

  • Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) of 0.18. The lower the SHGC, the less solar heat is allowed through the window. For reference, the SHGC of normal glass is 0.84.

  • Light-to-Solar Gain (LSG) ratio of 2.17. A high LSG indicates that the glass is properly letting in visible daylight while blocking unwanted rays. This is known as “spectrally selective” glass.

  • U-Factor of 0.25. A low U-factor means better resistance to heat flow, which promotes enhanced insulation in both cold and warm weather.

Beat the Heat with XO Windows

To install low-E windows in your Arizona home, reach out to XO Windows. We’re happy to further explain what low-emissivity glass is and how it can help save you money in the long run.

Contact us at 602-396-4825 or complete our online form for a free estimate today.