Since 2008, XO Windows has been professionally installing windows in the Greater Phoenix area. This includes custom awning windows, which are known for adding an “old world” look to the home.
Let’s look into when awning windows should be used, along with their benefits and ideal locations.
What are awning windows?
An awning window is a window that’s hinged on the top. It opens up and out by pushing a handle on the bottom of the frame. As the name suggests, the glass essentially creates a hood or an “awning.”
Awning windows are similar to casement windows. Both are crank windows, which means they involve hand cranks. The handle is moved in a circular motion to open and close the window. However, unlike awning windows, casement windows are hinged on the side and open sideways.
When do you need an awning window?
Like any other window, awning windows aren’t appropriate for every space or design. Here are several scenarios that work best for this type of window:
- Space has a greater width than height. If your space is wider than it is high, an awning window is the perfect choice.
- There aren’t any obstacles near the window. Since awning windows open outward, the area outside your window must be clear of trees, bushes, and other structures. Otherwise, it will be difficult to fully open the window. (And where’s the fun in that?)
- The room needs more ventilation. There’s nothing worse than a stuffy, stale room. By adding a small yet impactful awning window, you can allow more fresh air in the room.
- You want more natural light. Since awning windows can be installed above existing windows or doors, they’re excellent for letting in more light.
- You want to maximize the view. If you live in a particularly beautiful area, there’s a good chance you want to soak up the view. Adding an awning window gives you another look into the great outdoors.
Furthermore, you can open awning windows even when it’s raining. The glass “awning” will shield the space from water so you can continue to enjoy increased ventilation.
Awning windows can be installed in a variety of rooms.
If you love the idea of an awning window, you’ll be happy to know that it’s a versatile and adaptable design. It can be placed in many types of spaces, including:
- Above doors
- Above countertops
- Above sinks
- In reading nooks
- With picture windows
- High up on basement walls
- Above or under regular windows
…Just to name a few!
Ready to order awning windows? Contact XO Windows
If you’re ready to install new windows, get in touch with our experts. We can explain when and where you should use awning windows in your home. After all, we understand that every home (and family) is completely unique. Let’s chat about your needs and vision—we’re ready to help.
Plus, as the largest window distributor in the Southwestern United States, XO Windows can proudly meet your style needs.
For a free design estimate, fill out our online form or call us at (602) 396-4825.