If you have been thinking about replacing your existing windows, or if you are in the process of choosing the right windows for your new home, you have likely heard someone recommend “low-E” glass.
Before you decide to opt for low-E glass windows, it is helpful to understand what low-E glass is and how it impacts the overall energy efficiency of your home. This is especially important here in Arizona, one of the sunniest states in the country. With an average of 300 bright and sunny days per year in the Phoenix area, the right windows can make all the difference when it comes to living comfortably (and affordably) in the Grand Canyon State.
What is low-E glass?
Low-E glass is (typically double-paned) glass that has been coated with metal oxides so that it reflects solar heat and only allows a small fraction of that heat into your home—while still letting in plenty of natural light. The “E” is short for emissivity, which measures how well an object radiates heat.
Soft-coat low-E glass in particular is very popular in warmer climates because it helps with solar control and minimizes the amount of infrared and UV light that enters your home. When compared with traditional clear glass windows, which allow roughly 84% of the sun’s radiant energy to enter the home, low-E glass allows as little as 18%, while reflecting the other 82% back outside where it belongs.
Low-E glass vs. tinted windows
Like low-E glass, tinted windows are used to increase solar control. You can tint windows by applying a tinted film, which provides a barrier to sunlight. Alternatively, you can install windows with tinted glass, which functions by absorbing sunlight.
While homeowners like the privacy of tinted windows, there are major drawbacks when compared with low-E glass. For example, tinted glass can get very hot, which increases the risk of thermal breakage. It also doesn’t allow enough natural sunlight into the home.
Unlike tinted glass, low-E glass works by reflecting—instead of absorbing—energy, so you can enjoy a comfortable indoor temperature without overheating and still enjoy plenty of natural light.
The gold standard: LoĒ³-340 by Cardinal
XO Windows offers LoĒ³-340 by Cardinal because it delivers unparalleled solar performance and optimum glare protection. When you opt to install LoĒ³-340 windows in your home, you can look forward to year-round comfort for you and your family.
What makes Cardinal LoĒ³-340 glass so impressive?
- It blocks approximately 98% of harmful UV rays.
- It reflects nearly all of the invisible solar infrared rays (the ones that make us hot).
- It has a solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) of just 0.18 (as opposed to clear glass, which has a SHGC of 0.84). Translation: Say hello to lower energy bills!
- It has a high light-to-solar gain (LSG) ratio of 2.17, meaning it allows a good amount of visible daylight in while still blocking the rays that cause heat.
- It uses argon gas to achieve its super-low U-Factor of 0.25. (The lower the U-factor, the more resistant it is to heat flow, meaning better insulation whether it’s hot or cold.)
Contact XO Windows today to learn more.
If LoĒ³-340 sounds like something you want to know more about, we invite you to contact us at any time. Our team is happy to answer all of your questions about LoĒ³-340 glass, and you can even fill out our simple online form for a free estimate.
In business for 15 years, XO Windows is Arizona’s largest window distributor. Whatever your style, budget, or architectural or design preferences, we offer the most comprehensive selection of windows and doors in the southwestern United States and look forward to working with you on your next project.